Cleaning and Disinfecting Yale Products
Learn how to clean and disinfect your door hardware without compromising the finish or functionality.
Door hardware is one of the most commonly touched surfaces in a public space, making it a likely source for germs and bacteria transmitted from hand to hand. Fortunately, Yale door locks can be effectively cleaned and disinfected using common household cleaning products.
How to Clean Mechanical Door Hardware (Stainless Steel or Clear Coated Finishes)
- Use mild, non-abrasive detergent with a damp cloth or sponge, or pre-moistened disinfecting wipes.
- Avoid abrasive cleaning products, acidic or caustic cleaning products, bleach, solvents, or steel wool. These materials can scratch the hardware's finish.
How to Clean Mechanical Door Hardware with Oil Rubbed Finishes
- Use lemon oil polish with a dry cloth. Lemon oil is both antibacterial and antiviral and is incorporated into many household cleaning products to kill germs.
- Use a soft dry cloth to protect the hardware's finish.
How to Clean Electronic Door Hardware
- Yale nexTouch is conducive to cleaning and disinfecting thanks to its hard flat touchscreen surface and rounded edges. The pushbutton version of nexTouch can be used with protective gloves to keep it clean and germ-free.
- Use common alcohol-based household cleaning products or pre-moistened disinfecting wipes.
- Avoid abrasive cleaning products that can damage the digital touchscreen's protective glass.